Pages

Monday, May 21, 2007

This is the important stuff.

I finally found it in me to stop lying. You all know I've had trouble with the Catholic Church, eventually leaving it and ceasing all activity there. Last week I went to the United Church about two minutes away from my house, because it was a more open and accepting community. What I found was definitely accepting. Everyone was so welcoming and so nice, and I didn't feel as if I had to hide any part of me.

Last week I also became out to my parents.

Mainly, I'd been in the closet to make sure my parents didn't find out. Once they knew, (and I'd rather not go into that) I didn't see a reason to stay there. You see, I've already dealt with stigma. Racism when I was younger, and mental illness more recently. I hid my depression and anxiety for two years. TWO YEARS I was going to the hospital every week, dealing with it by myself because my family didn't want to acknowledge it. I know what it's like to hide. After I was able to become open about my struggles I knew I'd be able to talk about being gay.

I recognize that there will be problems. After all, mental illness isn't SUCH a hot button topic, and there were still issues there. I am ready and willing to talk to you if you want to, but please keep an open mind. I know that I have always been this way. I know some of my past was experimenting, to make sure that I am. (Not that those experiences are any less important to me now.) I know God still loves me, and that I have a right to have and do everything straight people do.

I know I have to watch out. I hesitated before putting Mental Health Day on my updated resume, and I will hesitate before I put the things I'm going to do on it later. There will be discrimination and fear, but I am who I am. I cannot change, I will not be ashamed. I hate that I have to even fight for this, for equality in so many ways but I will.

I'm going to go to the admin at Mary Ward soon and inform them of my intentions of starting a new group at school, named Speak for now. Click here for the Mission Statement. Note I did not say that I would ask for permission. We have a legal right to host any club as long as it complies with the law within our school. It is for everyone. For those who want to help, for gay, straight, trans, mentally ill, mentally healthy, discriminated against, advocates for, and all youth who want to make change. Join me, for this is our society to make a difference in.

0 comments: