Pages

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Marry Me Doogie!!!

I've just finished watching all 4 seasons of Doogie Howser, M.D. (1989-1993)
If Doogie Howser wasn't fictional or 17 years older than me I would marry the guy.
  • He's a dork. In season 1 he was 16 and had a pudgy face, giant hair, horrible ties and gigantic dress shirts. In season 4 he was 19 and still had horrible ties.
    I'm a dork. I spout random knowledge, am pretty awkward, and say the darnest things.
  • He's constantly learning new things about himself. Doogie can be a jerk, but eventually he learns something new about how he and the world interact.
    Me too! I learned that I can be bossy, pretty angry, overly self-conscious, etc... but through life, (and therapy) I too figure out ways to be more harmonious with the world I live in.
  • He writes a short journal every night, documenting changes in his perspective.
    I don't write in my diary every night, but I do write often, especially about how my thoughts evolve and change. I tend to write pages and pages then not at all.
  • He's a doctor.
    I want to be a doctor.
  • He's 6'1".
    I'm 5'1". We'd be hilarious just standing next to each other.
  • Although he started out shy about sex, he became more confident about it. He could teach me to be more comfortable with anything beyond closed-mouth kissing.
  • He moved out, then moved back home, then moved out to a place what he'd almost own when he was ready.
    I need my own place. Having this weekend to myself has only strengthened my conviction to move out as soon as it's financially feasible.
  • He's OK with the gay! In fact, he helped Vinnie get over his misconceptions about having a gay roommate in his dorm.
    I'm one of the gays! In fact, I'm a teensy bit active about helping people get over the misconceptions about the sexuality/gender spectrum.
  • He and his best friend really mean a lot to each other, and they're not afraid of that. I respect that kind of strong relationship.
  • His idea of a rockin' New Year's Eve party is an intimate, formal affair with shrimp and cocktails. But when his plans went wrong he partied like an animal and loved it.
    I've been dreaming of having an intimate, formal garden party with shrimp and cocktails. But I'm also interesting in partying like a penguin. (Yea Penguathelon!!!)
  • He owns a tuxedo.
    I love people in tuxedos.
  • His loft is decorated the way I think I'd like to decorate. Light, airy, open space...less than ideal neighbours though...
  • For a long time he worried about his leukemia coming back, and that kept him from enjoying life. Instead he rushed through, afraid that he wouldn't have time for it. That's one of the things he realized in the series finale. He uses his experience to gain insight towards being a better doctor and a better person.
    I worry about my depression and anxiety. I think I'm doing pretty well at having fun, while still being careful about it. I try to talk about in a way that eases people out of believing myths that contribute to stigma. I'm learning to live like your average teen instead of being scared it'll come back. It probably will, so I might as well take advantage of the good times now.
  • He changes his mind about people. Like when Raymond held him and Vinnie up at the convenience store he learned more about Ray and ended up being friends with him. I like that.
  • He's romantic!
I hope that's the person I'll marry. Someone with a kind, open heart, good friendships and healthy relationships, funny, some similar interests, someone who has things to teach me, someone who is willing to change his or her mind, and someone who gets the good and the bad stuff. I think we'd be happy, whoever he or she is.

0 comments: