Pages

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Turtle Jello Food

Speedy absolutely refuses to eat vegetables. She won't eat a carrot, a leaf, anything. (Just like her mother...) Since she's an older turtle than most, she needs more vegetables than protein. When I was a noob at the Red Eared Sliders forum, I came across someone's thread on "jello shots."

Here is my latest batch of Speedy's jello shots:
1 tin President's Choice wet cat food - Seafood
1/4 lb Shrimp
1 box and 2 clearance bags of Spring Mix salad
Berries - in this case, dried cranberries
Pellets
Calcium powder
Gelatin powder

I was going to get another can of tuna or salmon or whatever, but then I was in the pet food aisle and I saw cod/sole/shrimp pâté for 56cents! My mom once snuck Speedy a shrimp and she loved it, so I got a very very small quantity to add to the tiny tin of cat food.

Using the food processor I ground the salad into small, medium, and medium-large pieces. I de-shelled and sauteed the shrimp, then ground that into tiny chunks. I stirred pellets, cut up dried cranberries, the pâté, some calcium powder and the shrimp together. Then I dumped that in with all sizes of salad and mixed it all together. I put a generous helping onto the tip of a spoon for Speedy to taste- she approves! No need to add like...strawberry jam or anything then. Add gelatin powder dissolved into water and spoon it into flexible ice trays, and store in the freezer.

Easy, but so much more healthy than just pellets. Plus it tastes better, I'd think. The only caveat I have is that you have to feed speedy in a separate box, because even with the gelatin it really makes the water dirty.

0 comments: