Pages

Friday, November 4, 2005

discrimination


Who here has experienced discrimination? Racism, sexism, ageism? In a country that prides itself on multiculturalism, equality and acceptance of all cultures and beliefs, we've still got a long way to go.

Every teenager has known the storekeeper who stares at you when you walk into the store, the ones who are wary of anyone who stalks you until you leave. It's a common story- and not completely without reason, considering the huge amount of loss stores experience from shoplifting.

Then there's the bus drivers who demand a student id when you're in uniform- No, I'm just wearing a kilt and dress shirt for fun. I think it's comfortable and extremely fashionable. There's the drivers who snatch your transfer and hold it up to the light- Yes, I'm secretly spending hours in a dark basement creating my own paper and ink to match the transfer and save myself oh, $1.25. The $1.25 that my parents are paying for, and not me. Then the ones who are looking at your legs...when you're holding your transfer up at shoulder level. Sir...sir...it's um, up here. Yea. Yea. Thanks. And finally, the ones who narrow their eyes and you and grunt when you get on the bus. Eek, you grunted. I'd be more scared if you scratched your head and pulled out a banana.

There's the people who ignore you when you walk into the room. The ones who point and laugh while crudely imitating Chinese, (and I'm not Chinese!!!) The one's who purposely exclude you for group projects, and whisper behind their hands while staring at you, the one's who suddenly can't hear when you start talking. The one's who can find fault in everything you say.

WE WERE NINE! WHERE DID YOU LEARN THAT??

I'm a little bitter. Just a bit.

0 comments: