Pages

Thursday, November 1, 2007

Philosophy and Alberto Knox - written 11/01/07


Sophie's World. Alberto leaves Sophie a letter and asks..."Are you a child who has not yet become world-weary?"
Unit 3 HZT4U1. The print before me reads, "Give your response."

I thought at first, that I could simply answer, "Yes/No." And then as I thought more about it I started to remember....

I know that I am only seventeen and have so much more to experience, but I think I am tired of the world. Five years ago I had so much less to think and worry about- not that I didn’t have any problems, but just that they were so...average! (Here I must say that although my issues were the same as every other kid in my class, that didn’t make it any easier.) The next year I hit depression, started self-injuring, and attempted suicide. Throughout high school, I’ve come to see so many more unpleasant parts of the world. Corruption! The disintegration of my family, the abuse of my friends, the intolerance of the church, the stigma of mental illness, how could I not be tired of this!? I am so much more familiar with Centenary Hospital, how to see a friend in a locked ward, how to evade being hospitalized, hatred, and loneliness than I ever wanted to be. I have watched my friends...no. There are good things to this world, sure, but I’m rather tired of the bad things.

0 comments: