Pages

Monday, March 23, 2009

Why I Hate My Medic Alert

There it is, in all it's stainless steel glory. I have no idea what to do with this ugly metal thing wrapped around my wrist. I want bracelets and I think, "damn that's pretty and also a really good price!" but then I try it on and it's like, "that looks hidous with my Medic Alert." Do you know why?
Because it looks like this. It's a silver bracelet, but it's not silver, it's stainless steel, (like your fridge or pots and pans) so next to silver it looks...well, like your fridge or pots and pans. That is the "Designer Stainless Steel" style. The difference between that and the normal steel is that they sanded the tops off the links, so they're flat. Beautiful. $39.

It's okay for everyday wear, occasionally I get annoyed that I can't wear one of my non-ugly bracelets with it, but it's not a big deal. (Even though I really want to wear my non-ugly bracelets!!!) It's evenings that are the problem. It's not like I can leave it at home for an evening party because you never know what they'll serve for food. Nor can I attach it to my bag because I leave that at the table. The only other place to put it...is on my ankle. Which is stupid and ugly, so I keep it on my wrist and just let it mingle with the pretty jewelry. I can't stand wearing bracelets on my right wrist because I write so much, so that's not an option.

Let's look at the options we DO have:

CHARM SILVER - I407A

Charming indeed. I like the idea of a charm bracelet, at least I can customize it. The only problem is the links itself- is it a bracelet, or is it leftover chain-maille? Good idea, poor execution. This piece clocks in at $140.00, plus taxes and shipping.

CHELSEA - I423
-picture-
The circular medallion is a change from the usual...Jesus fish shape. They may have attempted to reproduce the famous Tiffany bracelet, but failed when it came to the size of each link, (Medic Alerts' is much fatter) and how closely they linked together. The Tiffany bracelet lies flat, whereas I'd imagine it would be difficult to get the chain to line up here. Points for shinyness, it is definitely shiny. $145.

MADISON - I425A
-picture-
Back to the fish emblem. The Medic Alert website touts it as having an, "elegantly textured cable chain." At first glance I couldn't differentiate it from the stainless steel variety but then I noticed the lines circuling each link. I thought I was either starting to lose my eyesight, or they had designed a bracelet with links that look like tiny earthworms. More realistically, it could be more difficult to clean because of the texture. Another whopping $145.

There we have it. There are some other designs that looked...passable, but not anything of note. I'll be on the lookout for a great silver engravable bracelet, but the one thing Medic Alert has on anyone else is it's strength. I've worn this bracelet for three or four years and it hasn't ever fallen off or gotten lost in the swimming pool. I'll tell you when I do find something to swap for this, but in the mean time, I'll be checking out tattoo artists. It might just be easier to get my allergies and Medic Alert number stuck on there, and it will definitely be prettier.

0 comments: