Pages

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Confession.

Thursday is Yom Kippur. When I studied Judaism I learned that Yom Kippur is also called the Day of Atonement, and is the most important Jewish holiday. I heard Atonement and thought, "Ah! The equivalent to confession!" But I was wrong, because someone told me today that it is a period of introspection. (Completely different from my idea of the Sacrament of Confession.) Actually, I think Yom Kippur coincides better with Good Friday, because that's when Catholics fast. Of course, they're six months apart and almost totally different, because Good Friday is when Jesus died.

How strange that a religion has an entire week for introspection! How strange that a religion encourages this! Of course, I'm used to the more militant version of the Roman Catholic Church, so perhaps other churches are not quite as scary as mine. I know that I'm in my head a lot- which is mostly why I'm so slow to respond, it takes a while for all my circuits to get going- but I haven't really thought about my True Being, as it is. Mostly just trying to get through this...

So I shall contemplate my True Being, the person I am and the person I am going to be. I will not think about treatment, or academics, or what people expect of me, or think of me, or want of me! I'm almost certain that I've taken a major detour.

There was something I wanted to confess, but I'll save that one for my diary.

0 comments: